My friend Heidi turned me on to Lemon Semi Fredo over 10 years ago. We have both been making it ever since. She brought it to our annual Christmas Wine Pairing Party one year and everyone when nuts over it…so the next year, I asked her to bring it again…
To describe it; it is dreamy, smooth, melt in your mouth amazing…ask anyone who’s tasted it. I describe it as a cross between Hollandaise, Creme Brûlé and Custard. It is a Frozen Dessert and we like to top ours with Freshly Cut, In-Season Berries (no sugar needed if they’re already sweet). The texture of it in your mouth is like I said, dreamy and it compares to nothing else I’ve ever had before.
The presentation you see here was from a few weeks ago at a ladies Tropical Party I hosted. My friend Ione came 2 days early to help me and I had her make this luscious Dessert and another friend Beth who also helped was the one that set up the tray for serving. What a great team we make, these two women are amazing!
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS: (full ingredient list to follow at the end)
Makes 8-10 Servings
1) Get a 5-1/2″ x 9-1/2″ Metal Loaf Pan and line with Saran Wrap, enough to pull Up and Over the sides to Fully Cover the entire finished Dessert.
2) Spread 1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds onto the Bottom of the Pan, evenly distributed.
Ione’s Tip: Spray Pam on the Loaf Pan so the Saran Wrap will “stick” to it. Genius and it works, (you know how we fight with Saran Wrap)!
3) With an Electric Mixer, Beat 1-3/4 Cup Whipping Cream until Soft Peaks Form.
4) Refrigerate Whipped Cream while we make the Custard.
5) In Small Bowl Finely Grate 1 or 2 Lemons to get 1 Tbsp plus 2 Tsp Lemon Peel (use Meyer Lemon or Regular Lemon) set aside.
6) In a Separate Bowl add in 7 Large Egg Yolks (no whites), set aside.
Note: So as not to be confused, the Bowl in the front of the picture has the Egg Whites in it. The Egg Yolks, (which we are using for this recipe) went directly into the Mixing Bowl shown behind.
7) Using your Electric Mixer, mix together 7 Egg Yolks, 1-1/4 Cups plus 2 Tbsp White Sugar, 1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (Meyer Lemon or Regular Lemon), 1 Tbsp plus 2 Tsp Finely Grated Lemon Peel and 1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt, Mix only until blended.
8) Now, take that Bowl and put it over a Large Saucepan of Simmering Water and Whisk Constantly (about 4-6 minutes) or until your Mixture is Thick and Fluffy.
9) With Hot Pads Remove Bowl from Simmering Water.
10) With Electric Mixer, Beat until Cool, Thick and Doubled in Volume, about 6-8 Minutes.
*Here is my lovely friend and Sous Chef, Ione. She loves to cook and is excellent at it! (Guess where she’s from…Minnesota, no wonder we hit it off so well)! Look at her beautiful smile!
Nice and Thick, (and dontcha’ just wanna slide your finger across that spatula and taste it)?!
11) Next, get your Chilled Whipped Cream out of the Fridge.
12) Now, Fold the Whipped Cream into the Chilled Mixture until incorporated. YUM!
13) Transfer Mixture to your Saran Lined Loaf Pan.
14) After Filled, Tap the Pan down a few times to smooth out evenly and remove air pockets.
15) Take edges of Saran Wrap and Pull Up and Over the Top to Cover. Saran will be directly touching the Custard (that’s okay). Freeze the Semi Fredo 8 Hours or Overnight. Can be done several days in advance.
*Note: Keep Flat and Even in the Freezer and put a piece of Cardboard underneath if need be.
Look how gorgeous!
16) When ready to serve take the Semi Fredo from the Freezer, Unfold the Plastic Wrap and Invert onto a Plate or Platter. Remove all Plastic Wrap and discard.
To Cut; Dip a Large Knife into Hot Water; Cut into Slices Crosswise into 1-inch Slices. You can also Cut those Slices in Half (but I suggest serving one whole slice per person because they will end up asking you for another slice anyway)!
Look how Dreamy this is! See the texture I talked about earlier? Just SO, SO heavenly.
By the way, this is a Dessert men, women and children alike will love! Tried, tested and true! Enjoy, and make your next Dinner Party a special one!
To Finish: Top the Slices with Mixed Berries and a Fresh Mint Sprig (optional). Serve or Display per your occasion. *As mentioned this was a Tropical Party.
1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds (raw or toasted)
1-3/4 Cup Chilled Heavy Whipped Cream
1-1/4 Cups plus 2 Tbsp White Sugar
7 Large Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (Meyer Lemon or Regular Lemon)
1 Tbsp plus 2 Tsp Finely Grated Lemon Peel (1 or 2 Lemons)
1/4 Tsp Kosher Salt
4 Cups Mixed Fresh Cut Berries (Garnish) *add a little Sugar to sweeten if desired
“Just Jules in the Kitchen” May 2019
Look for “PASSION My Journey through Food” coming out early Fall 2019.
PASSION is a Full Proof, Step by Step, Color Photo Cookbook, sharing my Journey through Original Recipes and Story Telling.